Friday, September 14, 2012

GIVING CHORAL SPEAKING A TRY

It's the evening before my choral speaking workshop for the English Speaking Union of Hong Kong.  I'm wondering why would a teacher join up for it.  Wait ....  I know ... it's is truly the most unusual, misunderstood, and strange form of creative expression one can select on the HK Speech Festival syllabus.  A big group of youngsters rarely want to do things together, at the exact same time, in a second language, on a stage, with a teacher looking not so happy in front of them. Rarely.

I've been doing choral speaking (I mean 'training', but for some reason I always hear the word 'doing' bantered about) for 25 years, and I am still trying to figure it out.  My hope to pass along any of the gem-like tips that I've gleaned over the years. Yes, and congratulate teachers for taking the step of find out more about choral speaking, on a Saturday morning nonetheless!

This poem was about traveling the world.  I had actually bought these shirts in Wan Chai for HKD $33 each!
Here they are, posing after winning Overall Champion for 'Cleaning Floors'.  Guess what it was about.

I think the principal of whoever signed up for my workshop should, on Monday morning, simply present his/her teacher with a trophy at assembly for bravely attempting to to take on the monstrous task of getting kids to speak at the same time on a stage. The inscription should read, "WOW! GOOD LUCK!"

No comments:

Post a Comment